Free Styling & Spiraling Fun with Pine Tree Quilt Guild

Pine Tree Delight

It was an absolute delight to return to lecture and teach for the Pine Tree Quilt Guild, in Grass Valley, CA. I made sure to arrive a little early so I could visit the Ben Franklin Crafts store. My friend Frances was sure to point me to some new-to-me ombre fabrics and a few other fun fabric finds, before giving me diretions to Villa Rosa's new store in Grass Valley, where I made a few more purchases. 
Fun Fabric Finds

Later that evening while getting ready for my Dare to Dye lecture, I saw this poster hanging in the school hallway...which really resonated with me!

The next morning, I arrived early to the workshop venue which was surrounded by a lush forest, and I could not resist doing a quick walk about.  There was quite a bit of moss and lichen to be found, which had such wonderful textures, patterns, and colors!
Pre Workshop Walk About

Fitting Fashion

If you see me wearing this top, it means it's time for some Free Styling & Spiraling improvisational fun!! We started out the morning by improvising an alternate location for the workshop due to a double booking, which seems to be a common reoccurence in my teaching adventures!  Everyone rallied to make the new venue work out, and I told them they passed my first improvisational test! 
Improvisational Quilters

Once everyone was situated, we started out with some square spirangles using two different improvisational construction techniques.
Hip to Be Square Spirangles


After lunch, triangle spirangles started to materialize all around the workshop.
Trying Triangle Spirangles

There were quite a few spirangles featuring brilliant ombres and hand dyed fabrics.
Color Saturated Spirangles

And wonderful pattern combinations featuring strips and dots!
Pretty Patterns

Towards the end of the day, we gathered everyone's spirangle units for a little show and tell.  This collection of spirangles sparkled and danced across the tables!!!
Surveying All the Spirangle Designs

After the workshop, several of the participants gave me expert directions home.  Not only did their recommended route help me to avoid major rush hour traffic zones, but it was such a beautiful, scenic route with rolling hills and gentle curves. 

Many thanks to the entire Pine Tree Quilt Guild for another fun and fabulous visit!!

Comments