Featured Artist for Grapevine Quilter's Guild Quilt Show

Grapevine Quilter's Guild Quilt Show

This past weekend, I had the honor and pleasure of being the Featured Artist for the Grapevine Quilter's Guild of Mendocino County's Quilts in Bloom Quilt Show.  In the weeks leading up to the show, I gathered together all my quilts that had a floral theme (design, fabric, and/or quilting) to tie in with their quilt show theme.  Other preparations included:  Giving my sewing machine a thorough cleaning and oiling, assembling some quilt sandwiches using Michael Miller Cotton Couture Solids (given to me by Michael Miller Fabrics) and filling a bunch of bobbins.
Quilt Show Preparations

The drive up to Ukiah was filled with beautiful scenery.  Upon arrival, a team of California Conservation Corps helped me unload my car, and Grapevine quilters helped me set up my display area.  They even had a quilted banner for the Featured Artist area.
Welcome

Here's a snapshot of my display space and an accompanying video tour.
Welcome to My Weekend Studio

Once my display was all set up, I took advantage of the extra time to explore the rest of the quilt show (which was 85% set up already!!).  In one corner, a team of volunteers were assembling a few more quilt show ribbons to adorn quilts winning special honors.  Check out these spectacular ribbons made using die cutter and vinyl lettering!!
Award-worthy Ribbons

Here are just a few of the amazing quilt entries, several of which won a ribbon.  Note that when I first walked around, it was a blind viewing, as the signage and ribbons had not yet been posted as the committee was awaiting a team of VIPs to award a few last honors, and they did not want them swayed by names and/or previously awarded honors.  I returned early the next morning to capture photographs of the signs and accompanying honors.

Ann's quilt (below) left me in awe at the colors, range of techniques used, detailed embellishments, and quilting!!
Ann Horton--Tropical Punch (another of her entries won Best in Show!!) 

I really enjoyed the range of colors and textures in Adriana's abstract rose quilt.
Adriana Dakin - Rose Quilt for Rose Love

Joyce's improv pieced quilt featured lots of wonderful details including a range of fabrics and textures, as well as lots of hand quilting. 
Joyce Patterson - Not Squared Up

Christy's well chosen quitling motifs and beautifully executed quilting really enhanced the three dimensionality achieved through her piecing and fabric selection.
Christy Thompson - Labyrinth Walk

Before leaving for the evening, Sharon (Quilt Show Chair), gave me a welcome bag containing several bottles of Balsamic Vinegars (from the Balsamic Guy who was one of the vendors), a lovely card, and a box containing some amazing baked pecan delights from Schat's Bakery.
Welcome Goodies

After I settled in, I went out for dinner where I enjoyed italian dining at Crush restaurant, complete with my own basket of bread and dipping sauce, and some twinkling arrows reflecting off my water glass.
Dining and Shining

On Saturday, I arrived early to stitch some outlines for my Free Motion Floral Fillers demos, and came up with a fun new floral filler design.
Free Motion Floral Fillers & FUN

Each day, I also did a short Slice of Improv demo and mini trunk show in the Demo area.
Slice of Improv Demos

And while I should have been exhausted after Day 1, I returned to the hotel room and tackled a number of projects at my makeshift office.
Makeshift Office and Stationary Supplies

Here are a few more observations from the Grapevine Quilter's Guild quilt show...

I was admiring these hand-crafted quilt racks displaying Community Quilts.
Hand-crafted Quilt Racks

I was delighted to see a special exhibit of Quilt Challenge quilts (and voting).  And finally, a fellow quilter who shares my dislike of sewing on paper labels!!
 
Quilt Challenges and No Sew Paper Labels

The weekend flew by and was made special by all those who stopped by to visit.  One quilter brought in her copy of Rule-Breaking Quilts book by Kathryn Schmidt.  While I recognized several faces from recent teaching engagements, I also met lots of new quilting friends.

Before I knew it, the quilt show was over, and it was time for take down.  Thanks to the volunteers, I was packed up and on the road in less than 22 minutes of closing!!  Thanks again to Sharon Burger for the invitation, to all the quilt show volunteers for mounting a beautiful show, and to all the quilt show attendees who made the weekend extra special.

Comments

  1. The Labyrinth walk is actually a pattern and the quilting was suggested in the pattern itself by the author. Even the colors are the one in the pattern. So except for workmanship, the rest was pretty easy. I should know as I have made one, but I chose different colors!!! and it is still waiting to be quilted, just .....like the pattern suggests, after which it will look just like in your picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info!! Finally a quilt pattern that doesn't include the dreaded words: Quilt As Desired!! Good luck finishing your quilt!!

      Delete
  2. They were fortunate to have you as the Featured Artist. You shared many of your techniques and from the photos they are guild that tries new things. Congratulations on your new quilting design, too. Obviously you just needed a spot of time in a quiet hotel. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really fun weekend, and I hope I inspired attendees to try something new and different!! I try to keep busy anywhere I go--as it keeps me out of trouble! ;-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

I am delighted you took the time and thought to leave me a comment. It may take a day or two for your comment to appear as I moderate them prior to posting to filter out spam and inappropriate content. Cheers!