|2019 Riley Blake Fabric Challenge Bundle|
Per the challenge rules, members were encouraged to make a quilt or quilted item of any size using at least three of the featured Riley Blake prints, as well as any additional Riley Blake prints or solids.
As per my usual Modus Operandi, I waited until the week before the deadline to get started on my entry. I had a new spiral design idea in mind but wasn't 100% certain of the technicalities involved. While my friend Gayle, generously gifted me her challenge bundle, I still had limited quantity of the challenge fabrics and little opportunity for ordering additional yardage in time for the entry deadline. So I made a prototype using fabrics from my stash with similar color/patterning. Interestingly, I noticed that my go-to fabric combo for making prototypes is pink and black & white stripes.
After the success of making my first wavy spirangle block, I was excited to make more and ready to start cutting into the challenge fabrics.
|Cutting Into Challenge Bundle|
Each session, I would pair two different fabrics to make up 3-4 wavy spirangle designs. On Wednesday, I ran to a local quilt shop in search of additional Riley Blake solids or prints to add more variety in terms of value and patterning. I found the Blossom print in both Holly and Black, and added some black and white (both 1/8" and 1/4") that I had in my stash.
The improvisational nature of these blocks makes them sooo much fun to create. There is very little planning ahead, but rather small design decisions within each step of the construction process.
Now that I had exhausted all the challenge fabrics, the real challenge was determining a layout. I kept experimenting with different layouts but struggled to find one that made me happy.
|Coming Up with an Exciting Composition|
With the deadline rapidly approaching, I started to simplify the overall size and layout. Instead of a using all 13 blocks, perhaps a 9-patch would work?
|9 Patch Layout Possibilities|
While these options were getting better, none of them knocked my socks off. Another hour was lost, and time was running out, so I simplified again with a 2x2 layout. While I used all 5 challenge fabrics in the block making process, I found it difficult to get the pink blocks to play nicely with all the other blocks, so I eliminated them from this project and will likely incorporate them into a future quilt. Instead, I focused on all cool colors paired with a neutral (black, black and white, or mostly white print). Several different fabric combinations were auditioned for possible border to expand and frame my design.
|Four Patch Layouts|
The entire quilt needed to be made using Riley Blake fabrics, including the binding and quilt back. I found some remnants from the 2015 Riley Blake Fabric Challenge featuring The Cottage Garden collection to use for the quilt back.
|Quilt Back is a Throw Back to the 2015 Riley Blake Fabric Challenge|
For the quilting, I stitched echo C-curves into one half of each spirangle block using a matching Aurifil thread. Not only did I achieve gorgeous texture, but leaving half the spirangle design unquilted allowed it to pop. A geometric spiral was stitched into the border.
The binding, complete with a fun corner black and white stripe accent, was added with less than 24 hours to spare. And my entry was submitted with 4-5 hours to spare! Phew!
I had sooo much fun making these wavy spirangle blocks, and my head is already spiraling with new design variations!! So stay tuned for future wavy spirangle designs coming from my studio!!
|Twirl and Swirl, Finishes 25" x 25"|