Project Quilting 11.6: Vibrant and Vivacious

"Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right." - Albus Dumbledore, Headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

These are strange times indeed. Less than 2 weeks ago, I sat shocked as we watched the Santa Clara County Health Supervisor announce that gatherings over 1000 persons would be cancelled/banned.  A few days later, group gatherings over 50 were prohibited. Five days ago, all 6 Bay Area counties instructed residents to Shelter-in-Place with the entire State of California following. Today is my 10th day of self-isolation, leaving the house only to walk the pups around the neighborhood (exercise and walks are permitted and encouraged, as long as we maintain distance from others).

I was very much looking forward to this week's Project Quilting 1-week challenge, and was even more excited as the theme was announced as Vibrant and Vivacious. My trunk shows and online quilt galleries are full of vibrant and vivacious color combinations and this was the challenge for me!!

Or so I thought...

As the week progressed, my creative energies were zapped as I absorbed the negative energy from the daily news, fears/anxieties shared by family and friends, and several cancellations to my teaching schedule (which I fully anticipated in light of Covid-19, but am still saddened to miss as I absolutely love teaching).

As of Friday night, I had neither the inspiration nor the energy to start something for Project Quilting. I began to accept that this might be the first challenge I would miss in my 5 years of participation with these 1-week challenges. While I could have stayed up and try starting something, I knew I would probably just sit in front of my computer and keep checking world news. Instead I decided to recharge by going to bed. Just as my head hit the pillow...I thought about all the rainbows that I have seen in the past 2 week...

I reached for my phone and emailed myself the following notes:

  • Blue hand dyed Fabric
  • Rainbow
  • lines of Heart loop de loops in roygbiv
  • Freezer paper arcs--large compass
  • White pebbles or escargot for clouds
  • Trapunto clouds?!?
  • Background quilting?!?
  • Rainbow binding

Waking up around 6 AM feeling well-rested, I proceeded directly to the studio and started to gather supplies. I quickly located the last fat quarter of my blue ice-dyed fabric, drafted a freezer paper template for the rainbow arcs, and pulled a rainbow of threads. Below you can see my morning progress which includes rainbow rows of Loop de Loop Hearts and trapunto work (with a double layer of batting for the clouds). 

Once the rainbow and clouds were quilted and trimmed away, another layer of batting was added for background quilting and a lines of stitching between each row of quilted hearts. As this was Day 2 of the wildly successful Virtual SAQA Annual Conference, I continued to make small bursts of progress during the 15 minute breaks between the various speakers and panel presentations. At the conclusion of the conference, I wrapped up the last section of background quilting and proceeded to trim and bind my quilt. Initially I pulled the same bright rainbow stripe that I used in my Birds in the Air entry. Instead, I opted for a more subtle Fairy Frost Snow (leftover from my trio of Holiday Mod Mandalas), as I didn't want to take away from the stitched rainbow.
Threads Demonstrating Social Distancing Don'ts (left) and Do's (right)

As you can see, quite a few threads were used in this wholecloth quilt:

  • Aurifil 50wt threads: White (2024), Fuchsia (4020), Red (2250), Neon Orange (1104), Yellow (2135), Green (2870), Delft Blue (2730), Dark Violet (2582)
  • Superior King Tut 40wt Aswan (#907)
  • and a new to me Yenmet Metallic/Pearlescent thread
I haven't decided on a quilt title yet and open to naming suggestions!! Ideas considered (and played for musical inspiration):
Finished 18" x 21"

It captures the subtle vibrance of a rainbow arcing over a cloudy sky.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."-Albus Dumbledore, Headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

Although I think I nailed the Vibrant & Vivacious theme with my quilt back (purchased in my last teaching engagement with the Sunshine Quilters)

Check out all the amazing Vibrant and Vivacious entries made for Project Quilting 11.6!!  Remember to stay connected with family & friends via phone calls, social media, emails, and video conferencing technologies. Stay safe & be well all!


Comments

  1. I really couldn't figure out where you were going with that blue ice dye at the top of the page. Where you ended up with your quilt was a delightful surprise!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It very much matched my nighttime vision and gave me renewed sense of hope for the next few weeks!

      Delete
  2. The finish has the appearance of a real rainbow - ethereal and striking. I love you social distancing threads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann...I am really pleased with the finished effect (better in person vs. photographs). And I couldn't resist modeling social distancing with the spools of thread.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I am delighted you took the time and thought to leave me a comment. It may take a day or two for your comment to appear as I moderate them prior to posting to filter out spam and inappropriate content. Cheers!