100 Day Project: Week 2 Update


My 100 Day Project continues into its second week with the completion of seven new #DesignbyDice!! You can read more about my goals and rules for these daily art sessions here.  In a nutshell: Each 7" composition is determined by the roll of dice which determines my design assignment to unitize the selected color scheme, element of art, and design principle. These daily designs are created using raw-edge fusible applique using fused scraps. Read on to learn about each day's assignment, along with my own personal critique and reflections...

8/100

8/100:
  • Achromatic/Neutral Color Scheme--I challenged myself to use brown, which is rarely used in my quiltmaking. 
  • The shapes were inspired by Chocolate: syrup, bon-bons, chunks, and lacework.
  • Contrast was achieved by using different values and textures of brown fabrics, along with contrasting use of shapes and background space featured in each quadrant.

9/100

9/100:
  • I found a collection of fused blue and purple strips to use for the analogous color scheme. Movement was created by laying out the strips into a vortex with the darkest strips used along the perimeter and lighter ones in towards the center which was left empty to create an opening.
  • Interestingly--these strips were all cut out while exploring designs for the Cherrywood Van Gogh Challenge, and the completed composition is a remix of my entry for the Cherrywood Wicked Challenge.

10/100

10/100:
  • When I rolled a neutral plus 1 color, I was excited to incorporate some orange into my collection of 7" compositions. 
  • I pulled a 4-5 black & white prints that ranged in value from light to dark.  An orange to red ombre print was used for the arches. 
  • Pattern was created by repeating the black & white arcs, which were filled in with another repeating pattern of orange arches.
  • Initially I had planned on leaving the orange petal shapes whole. But then I remembered one of my favorite free-motion filler designs featuring rows of hollowed out arches and decided to try trimming out the centers. I really love how the additional negative space enhances the design! Plus you may recognize the trimmed away center units of each arch incorporated into another design by dice from this week! 

11/100

11/100:
  • I reached for my bag of green scraps for the monochromatic color scheme and chose a variety of textures: strips, stars, dots, chicken feet, stipple meander, and plaid.
  • I began with an alternate gridwork of boxes and rectangles. Through a series of transformations, I incorporated contrast through the use of wavy edges that contrast with straight line cuts and overlapping strips, as well as contrasting values of strips against their background shape.

12/100

12/100:
  • When I first rolled a triadic color scheme, I reached for the primary triadic of red, yellow, and blue scraps and pulled out all the rich red, bold blue, and gold scraps. But then I started to explore different values: a soft yellow with pearlescent accents, a medium pink with glittery accents, and vibrant blues.
  • Once the fabrics were selected, I focused on shape and pulled out several spirals there were cut on the AccuQuilt GO! 
  • The spirals added wonderful movement as they flow into each other in an upwards trajectory. 
  • Additional movement and shapes were achieved by the blue baubles & beads that shift into wavy pink lines along the bottom half of this composition. 
  • These small details add wonderful sparkle to the overall design!

13/100

13/100:
  • Complementary Color Scheme of Blue and Orange.  These were the colors of my elementary/junior high school, which I hated at the time but now love and is showcased in some of my favorite quilt finishes!
  • The stem, leaves, and skinny lines draw focus towards the center of the flower.
  • The placement of the petals leaves negative space around the flower, in addition to around the center,
  • I love the whimsical nature of this floral design!

14/100

14/100:

  • Triadic Color Scheme: Blue-Violet, Red-Orange, and Yellow-Green.
  • Pattern achieved in the form of the printed fabrics, as well as repeat heart shapes that rotate around the center.
  • The blue-violet squares were too small to cut out an entire heart. Cutting the two halves from two separate squares presented a natural seam line which led to the idea of cutting out lines from all 3 hearts. I am enjoying using the negative space to create lines. The cut out lines were then used as a bridge to connect adjacent hearts.
  • This block is my little reminder that we are all connected during these strange times and to check in on friends & family.

It's been fun to watch my collection of 7" blocks grow one day at a time. My plan is to assemble the blocks into 3-4 finished quilts to mark significant milestones in my 100 Day Project.

Comments

  1. I'm really enjoying watching you experiment with design. What a lovely set of joyful little works you have created.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laura. I am really enjoying these daily exercises and learning a lot in the process. I really love seeing the collection of 7" blocks grow and can't wait to turn this first set into a finished quilt!!

      Delete
  2. Your daily quilts are so inspiring. Keeping them small keeps the whole project fresh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann...I am really enjoying these daily design explorations and find myself totally focused on the creative process!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I am delighted you took the time and thought to leave me a comment. It may take a day or two for your comment to appear as I moderate them prior to posting to filter out spam and inappropriate content. Cheers!