Project Quilting 12.5: You're Crazy

The theme for this week's Project Quilting Challenge 12.5 was You're Crazy, inviting participants to be "inspired by the late 1800s “crazy quilt” movement."

Continuing with my 100 Days of Mark Making on Fabric, I opted to create a wholecloth crazy quilt featuring a patchwork of mark-making. Starting with a 19" square of Prepared for Dye Pimatex Cotton, a large circle was lightly marked using my Dasco Giant Circle Beam Compass.


Using a ruler and very light pencil marks, a variety of straight segments were marked to break up the circle into "patches" of varying sizes, shapes, and angles.

Instead of rolling the dice to select today's assignment for my 100 Days of Mark Making, I gathered all my black markers and pens and started to play!

As you can tell by the lack of process photos, I was totally absorbed in these improvisational doodles! Since I was only using black markers and pens, it was important to create contrast between the various patterned patches through the use of different lines, scales, shapes, textures, and use of negative space.  

Once all the patches were filled in with black on white designs, I used a medium-tipped marker to outline all the patches and the circle itself. The marks were heat set with a hot dry iron before layering with white batting and backing in preparation for quilting. 

Initially I planned to outline all the patches but couldn't resist adding some quilted textures to most of the patchwork patterns (nearly an entire bobbin's worth!) While many of these doodles are inspired by my favorite free-motion quilting motifs, it was a challenge at times to follow my own marked designs!

When it was time to bind my quilt, I immediately reached for Michael Miller's Little Stripes knowing it matched many of the striped patterns sprinkled throughout the quilt.
Midnight Mark-Making Magic, Finishes 18" x 18"


This was another "Make It Work" well past midnight but I am quite pleased with my finished project! This doubles as both my Day 35 in my 100 Days of Mark Making on Fabric, as well as my entry into Project Quilting's 12.5 You're Crazy Challenge

Interestingly, this is my 3rd consecutive project where my entry number is 140. Maybe, just maybe, I will manage to submit a bit earlier for the 6th challenge...Oh who am I kidding?!?

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! It was totally improvisational and so much fun!! I am quite pleased with the finished quilt!!

      Delete
  2. I love watching you have so much fun exploring mark making, learning as you go! Your black and white beauty shows all that you have learned. PS love that binding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Yes--I am learning so much fun from these daily experiments and oftentimes having so much fun that I forget to take more pictures of my process. Black and white striped bindings are my favorite-s0 glad you enjoyed it too!!

      Delete
  3. I love this! What a fun project this must have been!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! This was a thoroughly fun project...once I finally got started Saturday night! Fun to combine my love of doodling, FMQing, and of course, quilt challenges!!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Awww...thank you!! It was a really fun project. I hope to do more of these in the future!

      Delete
  5. This is so much fun! Thanks for sharing your approach to this ... genius.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you enjoyed this finish and learning more about my process! It was a fun project to create start to finish!

      Delete
  6. This is so cool! I love that you kept it all blacks and white.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed. Usually I use lots of bright vibrant color, so using only black and white in this quilt was a big change in my work!

      Delete
  7. such a cool piece! I'm so digging how you've been approaching the challenges :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you...I really appreciate these challenges as an opportunity to simply experiment and play with new ideas/techniques. I especially enjoy it when I add on my own layer of challenges ie. unconventional materials, wholecloth quilts (last year), or this year's surface design focus!

      Delete
  8. It amazes me that you did all the quilting before the painting/inking. That takes such confidence. Therese May does this, too... painting a quilted and bound work. I’d worry so much about blotting or spilling on it. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I definitely marked the fabric first and then quilted it. The second to last picture is the back of the quilt to show what was quilted through all 3 layers. Although I definitely worried about blotches, especially as I was close to filling in all the marked patches!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I am delighted you took the time and thought to leave me a comment. It may take a day or two for your comment to appear as I moderate them prior to posting to filter out spam and inappropriate content. Cheers!