November HeARTs Giving: Week 2 Update

 
My collection of embellished heARTs continues to grow in diversity of embellishment materials and techniques. Read on as I share more about my inspiration and process for embellishing 16 heARTs during Week 2...

Day 8/30: Fibers

The effects of my Covid booster shot were keeping me mostly in bed for a second day...but I am still glad to be protected.

I was pretty exhausted, but managed to embellish one heART...

A bit of hand embroidery = X marks the spot. My mother always signed her cards with XOXO for kisses and hugs. The Xs aka Kisses fit in nicely with these heart themed motifs (which I will be teaching in my Crazy in Love with FMQing workshop as part of QuiltFest's Virtual Schoolhouse Series this January 29th). 


Day 9/30: Sheers


Creating tonight's heARTs was a sheer delight!
Such fun to use my collection of tulle netting to add subtle layers of color and texture!

My initial plan was to add curvy wedges of color. Wrangling layers of tulle netting proved to be a challenge so I simplified it a bit by folding the tulle in half and stitching along the folded edge to create straight finished edges with more saturated color. This first piece also helped me to see how overlapping the colors yielded all new colors.

Once trimmed, the excess tulle netting was used to create two more hearts. Triangles and squares were cut out from the leftover red, yellow, and blue bits with a bit of overlapping to create secondary colors. Once all the bits were in place, I covered them with a single piece of white netting and secured with free-motion quilting. I loved the simplicity of these three colors and basic shapes to create subtle pops of color.


Day 10/30: Fibers


A fun stitching session of dots and dashes with these hyperbright color splashes thanks to Wonderfil Eleganza 8wt embroidery threads!

Day 11/30: Mark Making


Black & White heARTs Tonight!

An absolute delight to doodle various patterns and textures using some of my favorite black pens/markers: Pigma Graphic, Faber-Castell, and Fabrico. Check out the before and after transformation photos (note that I was so excited to start marking that I forgot to take a total before photo for heART #2 and #3)

I was channeling a bit of Katie Fowler and Yayoi Kusama during these doodle sessions!


Day 12/30: Fused Scraps


Powered by purple protons!! Using some of my favorite mark-making prints stamped with the base of my deodorant and ArtFoamies.

Day 13/30: Artist's Choice

During my lunch break from teaching, I learned my father lost his battle with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD). It was definitely a shock as we didn't even know he was in the hospital.

Once the flurry of phone calls to family and friends was done for the evening, I laid down to rest for a bit. I woke up with a vision of my father wearing one of his many plaid shirts. I was thankful to roll Artist's Choice so I could use sheer fabrics to layer into plaid designs. 

Plaid in honor of my Dad...

Day 14/30: Mark Making


After another frantic day of phone calls, it was meditative to doodle dots, dashes, and splashes of white with a Uniball Signo white pen. 

Here are all 16 heARTs from week 2 all finished, tagged, and ready to be released out into the world!

It's fun to see just how different each heART is from day to day, and even on the same day using the same materials! This was a particularly challenging week, but embellishing these heARTs has been a really wonderful way to conclude each day on a more positive note...

And here are all 32 heARTs along this creative journey! Do you have any favorites?

Stay tuned for more weekly updates on this heARTs Giving Project...



Comments

  1. I am so sorry to hear of your loss. It is never easy to loose a parent, especially when it is unexpected. I can't imagine how you managed to finish out your teaching day after hearing the news. My deepest condolences to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much...teaching was definitely the highlight of that day and a welcome distraction.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I am delighted you took the time and thought to leave me a comment. It may take a day or two for your comment to appear as I moderate them prior to posting to filter out spam and inappropriate content. Cheers!