Project Quilting 13.4: Mining for Diamonds

 
This week's Project Quilting challenge had us Mining for Diamonds; Inviting participants to use the diamond as inspiration for our one-week challenge entry. 

My diamond-inspired project features the 4Cs of Diamond Quality with a few artistic modifications...

1. Crystal

I've had this set of glass crystal-cut dessert plates and bowls for years. Not only did they remind me of a diamond but the outer ring features diamonds along with some other lovely shapes and patterns: Perfect for printing onto fabric. A foam pouncer was used to apply Jacquard's Super Sparkle Lumiere paint to the backside of the plate before placing solid fabric on top. There was a bit of a learning curve to achieving a crisp, clean impression, but I was happy to have a few spare prints to use for subsequent experiments.


2. Carving

Earlier this week, I embarked on my 100 Days of Hand-Carved Stamps, where I'll be carving a new stamp each day. Rolling Artist's Choice for both shape and design inspiration provided the perfect opportunity to carve a stamp for use in this week's Project Quilting entry. Drawing design inspiration from the plate's cutwork, a few different doodles were auditioned for use along the outer edge of the plate prints. The selected motif was carved out of a scrap of Speedball Speedy-Carve block and test printed onto paper and the spare plate prints before stamping onto the best print, again using the Super Sparkle Lumiere paint


3. Color


A few pops of color were introduced through Gelly Roll Moonlight pens after first testing on a spare print. 

Once the pen marks were heatset with a hot, dry iron, a navy Isacord thread was used to free-motion outline the various stamped elements and a dense zig zag border fill. 

4. Cut


Once the quilting was complete, it was layered with a new backing fabric for a pillowcase finish. Once the layers were stitched, the excess bulk was trimmed away. A small slit was cut into the back to turn the sandwich inside out and pressed flat. 

Earlier in the week, I carved an Artist Tjap for use with my quilt finishes. While I had intended to stamp it on the frontside, I confess that I totally forgot until after the quilting was complete.  Instead, it was stamped on the quilt label which was fused to conceal the slit on the backside.


It was fun to layer mark-making techniques with free-motion quilting using all the supplies below...


for a fun mini quilt finish...
"Bling It On" Finishes 9" in diameter

"No pressure, no diamonds."
-Thomas Carlyle, Scottish Philosopher

This quote seemed especially appropriate for this week's Project Quilting one week-challenge. Be sure to check out all the diamond-inspired entries made this week for Project Quilting's Mining for Diamonds challenge!

Comments

  1. Really cool. I love how this works and enjoyed seeing your process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...it was fun to combine some of my favorite techniques to create this mini quilt. Glad you enjoyed learning more about the design/construction process.

      Delete
  2. Very pretty. Love the process pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I had a lot of fun adding the layers using my favorite techniques!! Glad you enjoyed it too!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you...I finally managed to work small for a weekly challenge. Usually they keep getting bigger and bigger. Phew.

      Delete
  4. Love that you share all of the most important pointes for your artwork - and the supplies that work for you as you play and create. And suggestions to "try on a scrap first" - so important. This is one awesome little a piece of pretty fine ART!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW great job. Its amazing what you come up with

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww...thank you Carol. These 1 week challenge themes nudge me out of my comfort zone as they inspire me to explore all new themes and techniques. Glad you are enjoying my takes on the challenges.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I am delighted you took the time and thought to leave me a comment. It may take a day or two for your comment to appear as I moderate them prior to posting to filter out spam and inappropriate content. Cheers!