100 Days of Hand-Carved Stamps: Week 5 Update

 
It's time to share another weekly update on my 100 Days of Hand Carved Stamps. Week 5 dice rolls inspired 9 newly carved stamps that made for lots of happy printing play! Read on to learn more about my inspiration and printing process...

29/100: Triangle + Artist's Choice


“going back and forth, back and forth, getting nowhere”
― Gary Soto, American Poet, Novelist, and Memoirist
It's been one of those days of going back and forth on decisions, projects, and tasks...hoping to move forward soon.

30/100: Square + Repeat Pattern

"I don't believe that life is linear. I think of it as circles - concentric circles that connect."
-Michelle Williams, American Actress
These repeat patterns are a bit tricky to carve and stamp, but I love seeing the shapes connect to create all new patterns!

And just a few more interesting printed patterns!

31/100: Circle + Text


"We all shine on
Like the moon and the stars and the sun"
-John Lennon, English Singer/Songwriter

This was a much needed mantra for today as the dice combo stumped me for much of the day, especially as I was feeling a little under the weather. At first I stuck with the newly carved circle stamp to create pattern. To add more interest, I started to stamp an uncarved circle and then layer the carved stamp on top.


Things really got exciting once I brought out this zig zag wedge (15/100) to create sun rays!!

32/100: Triangle + Nature


In honor of St. Patrick's Day, I carved a simple heart and stem stamp that could be formed into shamrocks and/or four-leaf clovers.

"Four leaf clovers aren’t rare… People who look for them are.”
-Christy Jordan, Food Blogger/Cookbook Author

33/100: Leaf + Text


"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up."
-Pablo Picasso, Spanish Painter
Lots of artistic growth with each day's carving/stamping session! I couldn't resist bringing out these carved roses (24/100) to play with these leafy prints. 

And then I played with layering the leafy designs on top of each other using a dark green and yellow green inkpad.

34/100: Square + Pattern/Repetition


"Growth is a spiral process, doubling back on itself, reassessing and regrouping."
-Julia Margaret Cameron, British photographer
Drawing inspiration from my Walking Foot WOW class to carve the same spiral clockwise and counterclockwise to create secondary patterns: 
  • Apple Core/S-curves (left) when the same spiral orientation was used in all 16 squares
  • Gingko leaves/clam shells (right) when I alternated the orientation of the spiral in each square

Of course, I couldn't resist overlapping clockwise and counter clockwise spirals!




35/100:  Triangle + Lines

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths."
-Walt Disney, American Entrepreneur/Producer

Moving forward with curiousity and a pop of color, which were used to create my entry for Project Quilting Flying Geese challenge: Peace & Geese!
Peace & Geese, Finishes 13" x 12"

It's hard to believe I am more than a third of the way through my 100 Days of Hand Carved Stamps! There have been so many a-ha moments as I experiment, explore, and play!




Comments