Project Quilting 13.6: Flying Geese

 

This week's Project Quilting Flying Geese challenge theme required participants to incorporate a minimum of 5 pieced flying geese blocks into our one week projects.

Most of my projects lately have involved mark making on fabric and/or raw edge fusible applique, so I was not as keen on piecing flying geese. I confess I kept re-reading the challenge guidelines looking for a creative work around on the piecing requirement. As I was getting ready for bed Friday night, I had an idea for a peace-inspired layout involving faux-pieced flying geese units aka prairie points. Below is my very rough sketch with a few notes on color and potential stamping, some of which made it into my finished piece.


Saturday night, I pulled out some peace-sign prints and coordnating 5" charms of Kona solids to fold into prairie points.


Today's hand-carved stamp dice roll involved triangles and lines lines, which provided the perfect opportunity to add a bit of faux-stitched texture to my faux-pieced flying geese! A foam dauber was used to load the stamp with white acrylic paint.

In fairness, the prairie points were pieced together, hopefully satisfying the piecing requirement. First I basted the prairie points onto the background rectangles. Placing a piece of batting underneath allowed me to use quilt-as-you-go to piece and quilt the units into a row. 

Border strips were also added along the top and bottom using quilt-as-you-go. The peace signs prints are from two of my all-time favorite Michael Miller prints. 
"Peace & Geese" Finishes 13" x 12"

The backing was added with a pillow-case finish. My label, complete with my hand-carved tjap, helped conceal the small slit cut into the quilt backing so I could turn it right-side out.

This is a bittersweet finish as it means the conclusion of Project Quilting Season 13. Below are all 6 pieces made for this year's challenge themes (Clockwise order from top left): 

Many thanks to Kim and Trish for another great season of Project Quilting! Be sure to check out all the fabulous flying geese projects made this week!


Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you...it was a fun chance to play with something new.

      Delete
  2. LOL! I, too, tried to get out of piecing geese. LOVE your colorful finish, Mel!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I was not alone in my initial mindset about the piecing requirement. It was still fun to play and experiment.

      Delete
  3. This is wonderful! You know we're going to let anything slide as far as the "rules" go - I just love getting folks to make and you are always making! So fun seeing all your processes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim. I try to respect the rules as the parameters usually stretch my creativity. This has been a wonderful season--thanks to you and Trish!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I am delighted you took the time and thought to leave me a comment. It may take a day or two for your comment to appear as I moderate them prior to posting to filter out spam and inappropriate content. Cheers!