Project Quilting 14.5: Sew Not a Square

This week's Project Quilting challenge theme was Sew Not a Square where Trish challenged participants to create a project but use no square shapes in doing it, and don’t end up with a square. She even provided us with a definition: "square – (noun) /skwer/  a plane figure with four equal straight sides and four right angles."

I was excited for this open-ended theme as I had some pretty big deadlines this week. Monday evening, I put together a fun group of FabMo fabrics ensuring none had any square references and even sketched out some design ideas with a mid-century mod vibe.


And this pretty palette sat untouched the rest of the week...

By Saturday night, I was starting to fear that I might miss my first PQ deadline since starting back in 2016! A little after 11 PM , I went into my studio in need of some Zen and decided to stitch a mini, mini mandala. Starting with a 6-7" scrap of fabric, I just started stitching and messed it up pretty much immediately. No worries as I have plenty more scraps, so I created another small sandwich and flubbed up that mandala too! Eeek! This was not looking very good. Thankfully third time's a charm!

Once the stitching was complete, I trimmed it to a circle shape and finished the edges with Tulip Puffy paint. 

Less than 60 minutes later, my mandala was finished and air drying!
"Less Than 60 Minutes Mini Mandala", Finishes with 4.5" Diameter

This mini mandala involved pretty minimal supplies:
  • Scrap fabric
  • Scrap batting
  • Isacord thread
  • Tulip Puffy Paint!

Heck! This blog post may have taken longer to write than stitching my mandala!!

Thanks Project Quilting for this much needed 60 minutes of mandala Zen...



Comments

  1. Incredible, Mel!! Congrats on pulling off a late-night PQ14.5 finish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much...I was glad to continue my PQ 1-week finishing streak!

      Delete
  2. Yeah! You DID IT! And You did it very well ;) I"m glad you didn't miss it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you--trying to keep my PQ streak of 1-week finishes going strong!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I am delighted you took the time and thought to leave me a comment. It may take a day or two for your comment to appear as I moderate them prior to posting to filter out spam and inappropriate content. Cheers!