Block Printed & Stitched: Emerald Gardens

While making Peace and Parcheesi, I painted and block printed two other squares. Read onto to learn more about the progress made on the green painted square...

This vibrant green was created by mixing two ProChem ProSilk & Fabric Paints: Sunshine Yellow and Caribbean blue. The Evolon non-woven fiber soaks up lots of paint. Thankfully we've had some sunny, warm weather here in northern California, so once the squares are laid outside flat, they dry within an hour or so.

As I was not sure which square I would be donating to the SAQA Benefit Auction, I moved forward block printing all 3 squares. I absolutely love how the block printing pops against the glowing green background!


This was the first of 3 block printed designs to be quilted by machine. I started with a matching green thread and wondered if I should have used a more contrasting thread given all the stitching involved.

Thankfully I was able to add lots of visual interest during the hand-embroidery phase!I started out by adding sequins secured with colonial knots. Most evenings, I would stitch another area or two while watching TV with my partner. It was fun to see how each section stitched enhanced the block printed design. Most of the stitches are fairly simple, but I experimented with different placements, directions, colors of Wonderfil's Eleganza 8wt Perle cotton embroidery threads, including a few metallic accents. I especially love how the larger stitches around the center square and each of the four mandalas creates incredible dimension to those areas and wish you could reach into the screen to feel the incredible texture of this piece.

Some additional free-motion quilting was added in and around the triangle prints using Superior Metallic threads. 

These stitching sessions, both by machine and by hand, were truly meditative. It was bittersweet when I finished the last of 300  colonial knots stitched into this piece! But that meant I was ready to finish those edges. A layer of 70 Peltex Sew In Ultra Firm stabilizer is layered between the batting and backing, giving the entire piece some rigidity, especially along the scalloped edges so they don't flop once the background is trimmed. Some miniminal stitching is done through all 4 layers (top, batting, stabilizer, and backing) around the square and each arc. Then I carefully trim around the scalloped border and paint the edges using a coordinating Tulip Puffy Paint/Dimensional Fabric paint. I considered several paint colors, but opted for the yellow to coordinate with the yellow colonial knots stitched all round the perimeter. The painted edges is barely visible when viewing the piece straight on, but you can see small pops when viewing from a slight angle. Once all 4 edges were painted, I was able to prop the entire piece onto a large jar for drying. Usually the drying is quick within a few hours for completeling any necessary touch ups, and then I leave it overnight for thorough drying.

Here are all the blocks and threads used to create this piece...

And a lovely detail shot of the center!

Here is the finished piece...Emerald Gardens:

Emerald Gardens, Finishes 12" x 12"

It still needs a quilt label and sleeve, which can wait, as I am eager to start the next piece in this painted, block-printed, and stitched series, which I hope to enter into an upcoming art call. I'll continue to post daily progress updates via Instagram and Facebook. Plus I have several more plans ahead for new shapes and designs using my collection of hand carved blocks. Stay tuned!



Comments