Best of 2020 Blog Posts


Cheryl Brickey of Meadow Mist Designs is hosting the fifth annual Best of 2020 Linky Party: A Blog Party to share our and read others top blog posts of 2020! Our top blogs may be those with the most views, most comments, provoked the best discussions, best tutorials, or simply our favorite 2020 finishes!! So without further ado, here is a countdown for my Best of 2020 Blog Posts:

5. Favorite Tutorial: Polka Dots & Posies

Polka Dots & Posies

What's black & white, and super bright?!? Polka Dots & Posies! This is one of my favorite finishes featuring Michael Miller fabrics. In addition to loving the fabrics, I had so much fun using improvisational top-stitched curves to create the blocks. Luckily I rembered to slow down just enough to take lots of photos to share my construction and design process from start to finish!

4. Most Views & Comments: Love Your Creative Space Blog Hop Tour + Giveaway

Cover of Lilo Bowman's "Love Your Creative Space"

Over the years, my studio space and organization has evolved to support my ever changing creative endeavors. I was looking forward to Lilo Bowman's new Love Your Creative Space book and was delighted to be a stop on her Love Your Creative Space Blog Hop Tour.  Based on the 2000+ visits and 150+ comments, it is clear that I was not alone in my enthusiasm for Lilo's new book. Alas, I only had one e-copy to give away, but I sincerely hope others have had a chance to check out this amazing book that is packed with lots of organizational tips and guidance on creating a creative space that you will love!!

3. Crowd Favorite: Pursuit of Quilting Bliss

Pursuit of Quilting Bliss 

Pursuit of Quilting Bliss was another project made featuring Michael Miller fabrics. The design features Cotton Couture solids and Garden Pindot that were improv pieced into triangle spirangles, which I teach in my popular Free Styling & Spiraling workshops.

Moreover, this quilt certainly caught the attention of quilt-savvy cats & dogs along with the Virtual Quilt Show judges who awarded it a 2nd Place prize in the Modern Quilting category!!
Crowd Appeal!

2. Favorite Project: 100 Days of Dice Designs

100 Days of Dice Designs

100 Days of Dice Designs was my first foray into the world of 100 Day Projects. Each day, I rolled 3 dice to determine the color scheme, element of art, and design principle to study while creating a 7" fused composition. I absolutely loved this creative journey as it expanded my comfort level using these design tools, connected me with artists all around the world, and made a small dent in my fused scraps! While I've posted a 100 Days Project Celebratory Wrap Up & Reflections blog post,  I keep going back and forth on what to do with all the fused blocks. Options certainly include the possibility of assembling them into one or more finished quilts but other finishing options are on the table too. No decisions need to be made in the near future as several of the blocks are currently traveling.

1. Favorite Finish: 100 Days of Dice Doodles

100 Days of Dice Doodles

After taking 4 days off from 100 Days of Dice Designs, I embarked on 100 Days of rolling dice to determine my source of inspiration for FMQing a 4" square. After the 100 day, all that was left to do was trim and bind! The finished quilt made its debut in my 100 Days of Dice Doodles Celebratory Wrap Up and Reflections blog post and has already traveled out of the state for a photo shoot, with another fun outing planned for early January. 

Honorable Mentions:

It is interesting to note that for both 100 Day Projects, my Dice Doodles: A New 100 Day Project blog post  and Day 1 of the 100 Day Project received more views than the celebratory wrap up posts. I am delighted that others are curious about my goal setting and intentionality that went into both projects. I am happy to share the Dice Matrix used for both projects with anyone embarking on their own creative adventure involving dice! You can use the contact form on my website to send me an email and I will happily forward along the MS word documents for one or both projects.

Check Out the Best of 2020 Linky Party!

Be sure to visit the Best of 2020 Linky Party to be inspired and find new blogs to follow into 2021!! And don't forget to link up your own Best of 2020!!

Comments

  1. Some lovely bright eye candy there. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I am very much drawn to using bright colors in my quilting. I am so glad you enjoyed!

      Delete
  2. These are all so gorgeous and I love your longer term 100 day projects. What a wonderful way to practice new skills and creativity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cheryl for hosting this annual blog linky party! It's always fun to see everyone's highlights. Yes--the 100 Day projects were a happy outcome of a cancelled teaching & travel schedule...and they certainly stretched my creativity in a positive direction!

      Delete
  3. Some wonderful projects. I always think that the 100 day projects sound so overwhelming. I couldn't stay with a 52 week project of 1 block per week to completion!! Congratulations on such wonderful work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rochelle...I too thought the 100 Day Project would be overwhelming but it was just a matter of taking one day at a time. I found it helpful to work small (4" or 7" square) and establish a few rules to keep it manageable!! I am hoping to start a new one soon!!

      Delete
  4. What bright and cheery quilts. Just what the Dr ordered this year. Oh how I aspire to have such a nice and tidy sewing space like yours. LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you...yes, I love using bright and cheerful colors in my quilting...so glad you enjoyed. My studio definitely has moments of chaos but I try to keep it under control. The Love Your Space book is amazing and offers lots of great tips for creating a studio space you will love...I highly recommend it!!

      Delete
  5. Love all your quilts! But my favourite are the Dice quilts! what a challenge those must have been! You have had a fantastic year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gail!! Yes--the Dice Quilts were certainly a highlight of the year and really stretched my quilting in a very positive direction. I simply took it one day at a time and the 100 days really flew by quickly!

      Delete
  6. Love your spirangles triangles quilt! I also enjoyed reading your post about how you problem-solved your piecing and quilting issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Those spirangles are super fun to improv piece. Glad you enjoyed these 2020 highlights!!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Awww...thank you! One of my goals was to spend more time in the studio this year...and well since travel wasn't possible, I spent lots of time in the studio!! I had fun inviting everyone there for a virtual studio tour! Glad you enjoyed!

      Delete
  8. You've made a lot of impressive things this year. And each one is so beautiful. Both of your 100 day projects are so impressive. I have a hard time keeping anything going for so long. Still working on my 365 day project from several years ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really enjoyed both 100 Day Projects and hope to start one or more in 2021! Although I definitely enjoyed taking some downtime in between projects--not sure I could manage 365 days!!

      Delete
  9. Your blog is always a bright spot in my day. Your work is so creative and fun. Best wishes in the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann...I am glad to add some cheer to your days. Wishing you the very best in 2021 too!!

      Delete
  10. What fun colorful quilts. Love you finishes. coming back to read the "Love your creative space". Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww...thank you Heidi. Yes--I love incorporating bright, cheerful colors into my quilts. Thanks for visiting and happy new year to you too!

      Delete
  11. What wonderful 100 Day projects! Best wishes for a successful 2021.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you...they were such fun projects and kept me busy 200 days this past year. I am hoping to start at least one this new year although I need to figure out what it will entail! Wishing you a wonderful new year!!

      Delete
  12. I love seeing these colorful projects again. You had a very productive 2020! Bravo!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you--yes, there was lots of color involved this past year. Staying productive helped keep me somewhat sane given the craziness of the world!

      Delete
  13. 100 Days of Dice Designs - great, wonderful!!! I'm impressed.
    Happy New year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The 100 Days of Dice Designs was such a fun project to create daily art. I am so glad you enjoyed!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I am delighted you took the time and thought to leave me a comment. It may take a day or two for your comment to appear as I moderate them prior to posting to filter out spam and inappropriate content. Cheers!