Road to California Recap


After sending my quilts to be displayed at Road to California for the past couple of years, it was time for me to check out this quilt show for myself!!  Of course, I was honored to be part of the faculty and teach four workshops:  Magnificent Mandalas, Slice of Improv on both Thursday and Friday, and Mod Mandalas.  Luckily, I had some downtime in my travel schedule to check out the show during Preview night, a few lunch breaks, with the majority of the show seen on Sunday.

One of my first observations was how several of the men's bathrooms were cleverly converted into women's bathroom, in order to accommodate the overwhelming majority of female attendees. 
Redecorated Restrooms

Of course, there were lots of amazing quilts to admire and celebrate.  Here are just a few quilts that caught my eye...
Zip It! A Fidget Quilt by Jeffrey Warner

Respite by Sandy Curran

Annularity by Elizabeth Eastmond

Song of Summer by Bethanne Nemesh

Two more quilts really caught my eye--as I recognized them from my Intriguing Interleaves workshop with the South Bay Quilt Guild.  It is always wonderful to see repeat students sign up for different workshops.  It's a bonus when they bring their finished quilts from past workshops for show and tell!  Jane Childerhose brought her finished Rainbow Interleave (left) to the first day of Slice of Improv workshop (and I hope to see her and her finished Slice of Improv quilt in a future workshop!)  Then while I was viewing the New Quilts of Southern California exhibit, I immediately recognized Melanie Dreike's finished "Sine Experiment" Interleave on display.  Melanie cleverly used a Robert Kaufman digital print for her Interleave quilt (right photo).  Note: those are Melanie's hands turning the quilt over to view her fabulously made label (middle photo).
Interleave Quilts by Jane Childerhose

Speaking of rainbows and gradient fabrics, my Rainbow Hex Code was on display as well!

Of course, I picked up a few fun finds to incorporate into future quilts...including a fun red, white and blue peace sign print that will make for the perfect backing for my larger Party Peace quilt top!!
Vendor Finds

The weather was absolutely gorgeous which made for some fun walkabout photo shoots around the Ontario Convention Center...
Lines and Shadows

And some interesting finds around the Azure Hotel & Suites...

Road to California concludes my whirlwind travel and teaching tour for January!!  It was an absolute blast, but I am looking forward to having some time off from teaching to create in my studio!!

Comments

  1. I've never been to R2CA although, like you, one of my quilts went. They were lucky to have you to teach. I know your students loved the classes. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was on my list to go see this year, since QuiltCon would be on the east coast. Teaching was a bonus for me. I have a difficult time gauging size of venues both square foot and attendance. Seeing it Sunday was a real treat as the crowds were considerably smaller and I wasn't so overwhelmed!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I am delighted you took the time and thought to leave me a comment. It may take a day or two for your comment to appear as I moderate them prior to posting to filter out spam and inappropriate content. Cheers!