An Exciting New Episode of The Quilt Show!!

On Set at The Quilt Show


Yippee! The Quilt Show is airing a new show (episode 2808) featuring yours truly!! The January tapings took place at a gorgeous AirBNB in Livermore, CA which was a 30 minute drive for me. The TQS crew did a fantastic job of keeping the taping experience safe with everyone wearing masks, washing hands, social distancing, and limiting the number of people on location. One of my souvenirs from the taping is a clear mask that Alex and I wore during the teaching demos. The clear plastic made it possible to see our facial expressions.
On Set with Alex Anderson

Typically a TQS guest is involved in 1-3 segments of the show. Since Alex Anderson was solo hosting and they were trying to minimize the number of people on location, I was given the option of presenting a show & tell segment in addition to 3 teaching segments--to which I absolutely said yes!! I thought I would share a bit more background information as to each segment along with some behind the scenes sneak peeks!

Segment 1: 100 Day Projects Involving Dice

Get Started with Dice!

No surprise that dice rolling was involved in this show!! Alex and I kicked off the show by sharing how I created daily art at the start of the Covid pandemic by rolling three dice to determine my daily assignment for exploring 6 different color schemes, elements of art, and design principles to create a 7" fused composition. Alex and I then rolled the dice to play with different shapes!!
Rolling the Dice with Alex Anderson

You can learn more about my 100 Days of Dice Designs in my celebratory wrap up blog post where I share my reflections from this creative journey, themes, connections, and links to each of my weekly updates during this April-July 2020 project.

Segment 2: Show and Tell


Next up was Show & Tell about quilt challenges, teaching online and exciting new workshops, and some of my newer quilts shown above (clockwise starting with the top left):

Free Motion Quilting FUN
Improv Pieced Spirangle quilts from my Free Styling & Spiraling workshop:
And Carmen Miranda's Mandala (36" x 37") showcasing my love of mandala designs.

Segment 3: Top Stitched Curves

Top-Stitched Curves Teaching Demo

The next teaching demo featured top-stitched curves using 10" squares, a hot dry iron, and my trusty bottle of Elmer's white School Glue. We went through the steps to construct the blocks for Polka Dots & Posies (57" x 65" on display behind us as well as below top left), before showcasing how the same technique could be adapted to other curved designs. including:

You can learn more about the design and construction process for each of these quilts by clicking on the links above.

Quilts Featuring Top Stitched Curves

Segment 4: Mark-Free Free-Motion Quilting


The show concludes with my 100 Days of Dice Doodles (July-October 2020). Here I share my new dice assignments along with several mark-free tools and techniques used while free-motion quilting some of the more intricate 4" squares.

Post Show Notes:

  • Since the January 2021 TQS taping, I started a new 100 Day Project: 100 Days of Mark Making on Fabric. You can read more about my set up and goals for embarking on this new creative journey and see my progression on Instagram as well as in my weekly blog posts
  • While this is my second show with The Quilt Show, I have yet to experience the official studio taping experience. My first TQS appearance was taped in LaVeta, Colorado at Ricky's studio space as they were on location for the TQS Legend show. And then this show was taped at an AirBNB, again with a very minimal crew on set. It is very impressive to see how the TQS crew adapts to these venue changes to transform the space to produce a fabulous and professional show. I guess I will have to keep coming up with new content so I can be invited back!
  • Many thanks to Alex Anderson, Ricky Tims, Shelly Heesacker, Lilo Bowman, John Anderson, Justin Shults, Mary Kay Davis, Kristin Goedert, and the entire TQS crew for creating a very safe and super fun taping experience!!  
  • I invite you to check out the new show available to TQS members! The Quilt Show has 1-month, 6-month and 12-month memberships available so consider joining today!! Membership is an excellent value as each episode is packed with wonderful inspiration and excellent tips. And I hope this new show inspires you to create and play today!!

Comments

  1. I watched the teaser. You were fabulous. What an amazing amount of material you are sharing. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann...the taping process flies by so quickly so it's always fun to see the finished episode. I am really pleased with each of the segments and hope others are inspired!

      Delete
  2. Mel, I am a Quilt Show subscriber and watched your whole show, WOW! Your teaching skills really came through and I loved the dice idea! Talk about getting out of a rut. Your free style method with glue basting is a doable for me and I am looking forward to giving it a try.
    Thanks for sharing, and yes, I've signed up for your monthly newsletter. God bless you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww...thank you Pegi. I am so glad you enjoyed the episode and the various teaching segments. I look forward to seeing what you create with a roll of the dice or glue basting!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I am delighted you took the time and thought to leave me a comment. It may take a day or two for your comment to appear as I moderate them prior to posting to filter out spam and inappropriate content. Cheers!