Goal Setting for 2021

This will be my 10th year of establishing five goals (aka resolutions) designed to advance my own creativity, quilting, and/or teaching business! As I reflect each December on the previous year's successes, I start to wonder (and perhaps panic a little) what goals will advance my creative journey. So without further ado, let's see what I have planned for 2021:  

1. Experiment with Mark Making

Over the years, I've accumulated a large collection of paints, pens, markers, crayons, inks, and tools to create marks on fabric. I've decided to focus my next 100 Day Project on making my own unique fabrics through a series of experiments that will involve rolling the dice to explore a variety of products, tools, and techniques. Moreover, I hope to take this to the next level by incorporating these fabric designs into art quilts. 
  

2. Introduce Layers of Text and Textures into my Art Quilting

While attending quilt shows and exhibits, I find myself gravitating towards quilts with text and interesting textures. So my quest will be to introduce new layers of text and textures into my own quilts. Over the past few weeks and many thanks to my quilting friends, I've been gathering plastic bags with text in preparation for Graffiti Jambalaya with Natalya Khorover, offered through Craft Napa. And I'll be learning how to use printed paper to create my own Instant Paper Cloth with Margarita Korioth, also through Craft Napa. While these will satisfy the text component, I've got some plans for adding new and interesting textures through the use of hand embroidery, metallic fabrics, sheers, beads, and sequins.

3. Generate New Content

Launching new content this past year took a backseat as I navigated to online teaching. So I will be renewing my efforts to create at least one new lecture and 1-2 workshops this year, add new videos to my YouTube channel, and write more for publication.


4. Elevate Skills on Longarm

While I've made great strides in using my Gammill Longarm machine, I require more practice to achieve the quality and precision of quilting that I am able to achieve on my Juki domestic machine. So I'll be dedicating some more practice sessions to gain the confidence and courage to add more custom quilting and microquilting to future quilt tops.


5. Honor my time & creative energy

While I often joke that I am "Queen of the 11th Hour," I would really like to change this modus operandi and make better use of my time and energy. Part of this will require me to rethink what commitments I keep and/or accept moving forward. I will need to critically assess new opportunities on whether they truly excite me and/or will advance my creative/business goals. I hope to better manage the larger projects by breaking them down to smaller chunks that can be completed in the weeks leading up to big deadlines. Last but not least, I also hope to honor my own personal deadlines rather than repeatedly place them on the backburner.

I hope you will join me over the course of this year and help hold me accountable for achieving these goals. If you are curious to learn more about my goal setting from the previous 9 years, I've linked them all below:

Comments